blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Get Real with God ~ On the Level

When I was little I loved playing with a really cool toy level. It sort of looked like a rattle with big round yellow squeaky sides and a thin clear tube in the center. Inside the tube was a red bubble that floated like a little blog of jelly as it was tipped from side to side. If you were a kid in the 80s you can probably already picture what I am trying so hard to describe. Good luck finding an image of it online though.

Anyway, when I was little this toy mesmerized me. Even though I understand the concept of a level now, I still marvel at the thought of that red blob marking the center of the rattle.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that important things happen in the middle. Balance is achieved in the middle.

This applies biblically too. In the middle of the Garden of Eden was the Tree of Life. In the middle of the temple was the sanctuary, the Holy of Holies. Three crosses were at Calvary and the one in the middle held our Savior. In the center of the throne of Heaven is Jesus.

So why do I often feel stuck when I’m in the middle? Today I tore down the crib and converted it into a toddler daybed. She’s not a baby and she’s not quite a big girl either. Sometimes I feel like all I do is stand still and wait. I have these adorable little ones who grow bigger everyday and I can’t go back or I’ll be off balance and I can’t plow ahead or I’ll miss these precious moments that slip away all too quickly. I’m in the middle of the beginning of a very long road. As a mommy of a toddler, you are there with me. Rest assured that God likes the middle places. He dwells there too. He’ll never leave us there alone. He’ll make this a time of great love, like a monument that will steady our children throughout their lives. If, like me, you want balance and you strive for peace in the middle places and the long periods of waiting—make God the center of your world.

Isaiah 26:7 NIV says “The path of the righteous is level; O upright One, you make the way of the righteous smooth.”

It’s no small thing that the bubble in my rattle was red. Christ’s blood makes us righteous. Through Him my world is level, balanced and centered. Your can be too.

No comments: